Thailand has some of the best food in Asia with many signature dishes that are enjoyed all over the world. Hot and sour flavors mixed with aromatic lemongrass are classic ingredients that let your taste buds dance with excitement. Here are some of my favorite Thai dishes that I enjoyed eating whilst I traveling Thailand. Enjoy!
- Pad Thai – Thai-style Fried Noodles – A great noodle dish that everybody knows. A classic dish that you'll find on every corner in Thailand being cooked by the experienced street venders. Best enjoyed cooked with prawns and an egg. No trip to Thailand is complete without Pad Thai.
- Gaeng Massaman Gai – Thai Massaman Curry. A mild peanut based curry usually cooked with beef or chicken. The "massaman" indicates that the recipe is of Islamic origin. One of the real highlights of traveling in Thailand.
- Penang Gai – Penang Chicken Curry. A creamy coconut curry with subtle flavors of kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil. You'll find this on most places during your Thailand trip.
- Pad gkaprow mu – Thai Basil Pork – A spicy favorite for travelers in Thailand that mixes ground pork with hot chillies and Thai sweet basil. Always served with sticky rice and topped of perfectly with a fried egg.
- Tod Man Plaa – Spicy fried fish cakes. Delicious fish patties perfectly accompanied by hot and sour dipping sauce. Great to snack on during your Thailand trip.
- Khao Neeo – Thai Sticky Rice. A great accompaniment to any Thai dish and perfect if you start running out of money while you're traveling in Thailand.
- Khao Soi – Chiang Mai Curry Noodles. This is a noodle dish, prepared in a rich creamy curry sauce, which is traditional to Northern Thailand. If your Thailand tour takes you up north, this dish is a must.
- Tom Yum Goong – Thai Prawn Soup With lemongrass. Tom Yum is one of the main signature dishes that characterises Thai cuisine. With both hot and sour flavors it's the base of many Thai soups.
- Gaeng Khiao Wan Gai – Thai Green Curry with Aubergine. A great veggie option of the classic Thai curry.
- Yum Nuea – Thai Beef Salad – Yum Nuea means "tossed beef" and that is the basis of the dish. It's a great option for a light meal on the beach while you're traveling in Thailand. Delicious barbequed beef that's tossed in sweet, smokey and sesame flavors.
- Pad Mee – Thai Fried Vermicelli Noodle – Spicy thin noodles with all the best bits. Simple but great and definitely part of a try Thailand trip.
- Tom Yum Soup – Hot and Sour Soup – Classic Thai dish that you'll find whilst traveling all over Thailand. Strong hot and sour flavors with a hint of lemongrass.
- Yam Ma Maung – Green Mango Salad – A refreshing salad with green mango, garlic and Thai sweet basil. Again, perfect on the beach.
- Gai Pad Med Mamuang Himaphan – Chicken And Cashew Nut – Cashew nuts being the key ingredient in the dish combined with strong Thai red chillies, lemongrass and young kale.
- To-hu tawt – Deep fried tofu – Light and spongy tofu puffs that are deep fried to a crispy treat that mixes well in to most vegetarian dishes. Vegetarians who travel to Thailand will definitely enjoy this dish.
- Som Tum – Thai Green Papaya Salad – This dish you'll see many of the street venders mixing up with a pestle and mortar to get all the flavors out of the ingredients. Fresh papaya, Thai string beans, palm sugar, green chillies and dried shrimp all get mixed together to create a fiery salad. A real highlight of any Thailand trip.
- Kanom Chan – Steamed layered coconut dessert – The main ingredients used to make a Kanom Cham include sugar, coconut milk and flour. One of the great features regarding the Kanom Chan is the natural colors used to create the sweet that is also derived from herbs. Great for sweet-toothed travelers to Thailand
- Khanom Kluay – Banana Pudding – Khanom Kluay is a delicious Thai dessert that is found all over Thailand and Khanom Kluay translates as Thai steamed banana cake. You definitely have to try this during your Thailand trip.
Tempted? Why not start planning a trip to Thailand to sample all of these amazing dishes.