This meat-free & dairy-free potato salad will have you getting rid of the usual & predictable conventional potato salad for sure. In the event your family holiday gatherings are anything like mine, people are asking "where is the potato salad" as soon as they hit the door. This dairy-free, Curried Potato dish is a far cry from the everyday "yellow" or "southern style" potato salad that you've been served year-end and year out. Add a little spice and a unique flavor to your holiday menu. Your guests will welcome the change!
Dairy-Free Curried Potato Salad Recipe:
Potato Salad Dressing:
Vegetable or Olive Oil for sautee
Small chopped red onion
1 chopped red bell pepper
· 1/2 small finely chopped jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons of curry powder
1 cup of raisins (make sure you soak them first in hot water)
Fresh juice of 1 lime or lemon
1 cup of Veganise
2 teaspoons of chopped cilantro
1. In a small skillet, drizzle oil, over medium heat, and allow to get warm. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeño peppers. Cook vegetables until they are soft. Next, add the celery salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and curry powder. Cook for about 5 minutes. To de-glaze the pan and get the spices from the bottom of the pan, drizzle some lemon juice in the pan.
2. In a food processor or blender, add the vegetable mixture and raisins. Pulse until chopped and smooth. Add half of the lime or lemon juice and the veganaise and cilantro and continue to pulse. Next add the dressing to a bowl and add the remainder of the lime or lemon juice. Stir well and refrigerate.
1 pound of cooked and cubed red skinned potatoes
1/2 pkg of drained extra firm tofu
1/2 cup of raisins (make sure these have been soaked in hot water)
Chopped cilantro (optional)
1. In a large bowl, crumble the extra firm tofu (with your hands). Next, add the cubed potatoes, raisins and cilantro and toss well.
2. Next, add the dressing to the salad and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Which dishes do you "traditionally" serve during the holidays? Is potato salad among them? What are a few of your favorite potato based meals?